[alsa-devel] HBR audio with intel HDA

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Fri Aug 2 15:42:04 CEST 2013

02.08.2013 16:11, Ashecrow kirjoitti:
> Hi Anssi,
> Thanks for your answer
>
> Test on kernel 3.8 + non-pcm bit in AES0:
> aplay -D hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0,AES0=0x06 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 dts.spdif
> => same result: no signal

Hmh, OK.

> Test with a non spdif-encapsulated file extracted from blu ray which is 16 bits 8 channel 192 kHz :
> aplay -D hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0,AES0=0x06 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 dts.dts-hd.sample_track2_und.dts
> => I get a static noise and receiver shows PCM and 2 channels (front left and front right)

You can't output non-encapsulated audio directly, you need to
encapsulate it e.g. with ffmpeg:
ffmpeg -i file.dtshd -acodec copy -f spdif file.dtshd.spdif

> With kernel upgrade to 3.9: same result
>

> Note that I have tested with alsa* 1.025 and intel-hda driver included in kernel
>
> Do you have any other idea?

You could try DEV=1 instead of DEV=0 (according to your log DEV=0 is
correct, though), and truehd (thd.spdif from ffmpeg samples).

If neither of those work, could you provide another alsa-info while
playing back using AES0=0x06 (with alsa debug enabled again)?

--
Anssi Hannula