[alsa-devel] BUG: USB audio discontinuities with 'UHCI: implement new semantics for URB_ISO_ASAP'

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Apr 23 10:47:44 CEST 2013

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Joe Rayhawk wrote:

>>> Perhaps that was a mistake.  Joe, you can try changing the 2 above to a
>>> 1 to see if it fixes the problem.
>>
>> Hey, that worked great! Audio's coming through continuously, now.
>
> This change could be added to the driver, but I would prefer not to.

Why do you think it is necessary to have a minimum latency of 2 ms?

Again, the old algorithm worked fine.  While such short queues are not
used by default, they are necessary to get low latencies for real-time
audio applications.  Keeping this change would keep this regression for
quite a few people.

> In any case, it would be best

What criteria are you using to evaluate the benefit of this?  Do you
want to reduce the chance of queue underruns?  Interrupts?  Power usage?

> if the usb-audio driver were changed to keep the pipeline length at
> least 2 ms at all times.

Why is having a queue of two URB with one packet each suddenly not
allowed?

Regards,
Clemens