[alsa-devel] ASOC snd_soc_dai_ops for clock mux control

Gellner, Christoph (ADITG/SW1) cgellner at de.adit-jv.com
Wed Apr 10 15:55:41 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.
Basically I want to specify clocks for RX section and TX section independently.

If this is "RX should use FLL1 and TX should use FLL2" or "RX should use FLL1 and TX should use MCLK"
should not make any difference in my opinion.

As you state, solution A is cleaner as it clearly communicates what is happening below.

My target is to use ASOC architecture. Therefore I do not want to bypass it.

As I understand the ASOC architecture target to provide interfaces to all DAI configurations and handles the linking.
Therefore I would prefer to add the missing set_clkmux to ASOC architecture.
Is something like clock multiplexers really that special ?
What is your opinion, would set_clkmux be beneficial for ASOC architecture ?

I understand that in case there is only one section for RX and TX this can be implicitly handled by set_sysclk.
I'm currently wondering what shall be configured by set_sysclk.
Is it only the clock, rate and direction of the clock or does it implies that the clock is to be used in all cases ?

What happens in case the oversampling clock FLL1 can be output, too (generated from MCLK).
Is it allowed to call set_sysclk two times
1) specify MCLK to be input and the rate
2) specify FLL1 to be output at a rate derived from MCLK

I believe in this case using set_sysclk for selecting the clock can be really difficult.
What is your opinion ?

Best regards

Christoph