[alsa-devel] Asynchronous audio USB chips: choppy playback since 3.8-rc7

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:37:16 CEST 2013

On 03.04.2013 17:19, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi Daniel
>
> On 03/04/13 17:00, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> Hi Michael,

>> Is OMAP3 at all a platform that is affected by the bug? It seems the
>> effect is only seen on some special host controller hardware anyway.
>>

> Yes, omap3 ehci and m2tech products is not affected and I'm testing a dac with internal clock.
>
>>> Sorry the comment was for a bug that is not included in this list and recently fixed.
>>> USB: EHCI: fix bug in iTD/siTD DMA pool allocation
>>
>> Sorry, you lost me. So what's the status of this issue now? Does "USB:
>> EHCI: fix bug in iTD/siTD DMA pool allocation" fix it?
>
> With or without it, I don't have any choppy audio and this is not a fix
> of this bug.

If you cannot reproduce the bug, how can you reproduce a fix then?

Also, if all users of snd-usb would be affected since 3.8-rc7, I'm sure
this mailing list would be full of reports.

The bug is only triggered by some sort of hardware (appearantly such
with an internal clock), and only with some patch applied that went in
between 3.8-rc6 and 3.8-rc7.

Someone with hardware that shows the bug has to bisect between these two
tags please. Given the number of patches between them (230), that
shouldn't take long.

ALSA is certainly not the culprit here, as there where only ASoC patches
in that range. I'm copying the linux-usb ML.

Thanks,
Daniel