[alsa-devel] HD Audio with 'mute light'

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Sep 24 10:09:00 CEST 2012

At Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:54:11 +0200,
Arnout Engelen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a laptop with a HD Audio onboard sound card: the CX20590.
>
> It seems like this card has a sort of 'hardware mute state': the 'mute button'
> has a light, and when this light is on, no sound is heard, regardless of
> whether or not the channel is muted in the ALSA mixer.

Such a hardware mute isn't always related with the codec itself.
For example, Lenovo laptops have controls of the sound in the ACPI
over the sound chip.  OTOH, some machines (like HP laptops) use EAPD
for controlling the mute LED.  This is bound with the Master switch in
the recent driver.

So, without knowing the hardware detail, it's hard to tell more.

Takashi