[alsa-devel] Need help with WM8960

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Sep 13 01:09:00 CEST 2012

I'm trying to port some old Linux code to upstream for a third-party board
that uses a Freescale P1022 and a Wolfson WM8960. I've got audio working,
but it's using a hack from the third-party code, and I don't know how to
do implement the change properly, mostly because I don't understand DAPM.

The first problem is that I get this:

	wm8960 0-001a: No platform data supplied

What kind of platform data is the driver expecting, and how do I get it
that data?  I don't seem to need any platform data to make the code work.

Second, I uploaded the hack to wm8960.c at http://pastebin.com/RwVy6cQg

You can see that he disables the DAPM controls for DACL, DACR, ADCL, and
ADCR, and forces those bits set in the wm8960_probe function.  There's
also a comment that documents some limitations.  What is the proper way to
implement this change?

Third, in order to actually hear audio, I had to unmute the "Left Output
Mixer PCM" and "Right Output Mixer PCM".  Is this something that the
machine driver should do automatically?  And if so, how?

Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale