[alsa-devel] Channel map API patches: to be 3.7 or not to be?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Sep 10 19:43:33 CEST 2012

Hi,

does anyone have concern if I push the current channel map API patches
(in sound-unstable git tree topic/tlv-chmap branch) for linux-next,
i.e. for inclusion to 3.7 kernel?

I don't worry too much about the kernel API.  This can be refactored
later.  But the kernel ABI must retain, so we won't change in an
incompatible way any longer once after it's merged to the upstream.

So, if anyone sees a flaw in the kernel ABI definition using control
elements, let me know.

(But note that the API can't be perfect for all generic purposes.
 It's designed to be "good enough" for a big lack for multi-channel
 streaming.  Of course, this doesn't discourage to use the API for any
 other purposes.)

thanks,