[alsa-devel] UAC2 clock selector for AudioBox 1818VSL

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:24:13 CEST 2012

On 07.09.2012 19:57, louis at museresearch.com wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>   Thanks for the quick reply. I am able to set the clock on my Mac, though
> I do need to do further tests and make sure that the sync is actually
> reliable there. The setting is available from the built-in, standard OS
> X audio setup application "Audio MIDI Setup".
>
> There should be a S/PDIF clock signal going to the digital inputs on the
> device. Some of the other controls such as per-channel mute also appear to
> work. I've also attached the lsusb output.
>
> There are some other details that may be relevant, but I didn't want to
> make my initial post too long/confusing because these extra details may
> end up just being a red herring: Each mixer element name (as seen in
> amixer) is prefixed with "AudioBox 1818 VSL Clock Selector" even if it is
> not a clock selector.

That strange but I believe not related. We should still fix that :)

> I am confident though that the control I've been
> playing with is the clock selector because it lists the different clock
> types as options. I also see this when I plug the device in or load the
> ALSA driver:
>
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:342 cannot get ctl value: req = 0x83, wValue =
> 0x201, wIndex = 0xa00, type = 4
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:846 10:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2
> (id 10)
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:342 cannot get ctl value: req = 0x83, wValue =
> 0x200, wIndex = 0xa00, type = 4
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:846 10:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2
> (id 10)
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:342 cannot get ctl value: req = 0x83, wValue =
> 0x201, wIndex = 0xb00, type = 4
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:846 11:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2
> (id 11)
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:342 cannot get ctl value: req = 0x83, wValue =
> 0x200, wIndex = 0xb00, type = 4
> ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:846 11:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2
> (id 11)

Do you see any messages when you try to set the clock selector with amixer?

If you're running a recent kernel, try the following patch. That will
produce log messages for each mixer related control packet that is sent
out to the device.

Thanks,
Daniel