[alsa-devel] VOIP xrun problem

Jamey Drennan jamey.drennan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:00:10 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:

> (quoting fixed; please don't top-post)
> Jamey Drennan wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Florian Faber <faber at faberman.de>
> wrote:
> >> How do you synchronize the streams? You will either have to synchronize
> >> the media clocks or do some sort of SRC.
> >
> > Maybe I don't quite understand your question but I use RTP (oRTP library)
> > to manage the sending/receiving of the audio streams.
>
> So the RTP stream is synchronized to the sender's clock.
> How do you handle the differences between the stream's clock and
> the playback device's clock?
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

The client and server negotiate the connection parameters including packet
interval, size, audio format, and rate.  The rtp library ensures that the
packets arrive on time and accounts for initial time differences.  Maybe
the timestamps of the stream packets aren't enough to keep the two clocks
synchronized(or a frame is the same regardless if the two devices are set
up the same)?  In testing, the two clocks are one and the same since I am
running the client and server on the same device.