[alsa-devel] A reliable kernel panic (3.6.2) and system crash when visiting a particular website

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:00:20 CEST 2012

On 21.10.2012 22:43, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
>> Nice. Could you do that again with the patch applied I sent yo some
>> hours ago?
>
> That patch was of no help - the system has crashed and I couldn't spot relevant
> messages.
>
> I've no idea what it means.

The sequence of driver callbacks issued on a stream start is

 .open()
 .hw_params()
 .prepare()
 .trigger()

If the ALSA part really causes this issue, the bad things happen either
in any of the driver callback functions or in the core underneath.

The patch I sent returns an error from the hw_params callback, and as
you still see the problem, that means that the crash happens before any
of the USB audio streaming really starts.

Could you try and return -EINVAL from snd_usb_capture_open() please?

If anyone has a better idea on how to debug this, please chime in.

Daniel