[alsa-devel] Fwd: Support for Roland VG-99 (working code, but could use help)

Pete Leigh pete.leigh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:49:57 CEST 2012

On 19 October 2012 09:24, Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]]
>>
>>> Ok, I have to fix this finally. Are you using a hub or is this device
>>> directly connected?
>>
>> Directly connected, I assume to this (from lspci)
>>
>> :14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host
>> Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
>>         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 179b
>>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
>>         Memory at d4420000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
>>         Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 2
>>         Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/8 Maskable- 64bit+
>>         Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
>>
>> That is reported by the distro kernel.. I notice it is using an xhci
>> driver, which I think is not enabled in the sound.git kernel I booted.
>> I'll try again after enabling CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD, in case that helps.
>
> Yes. You should extract the config of the old kernel (/proc/config.gz)
> and use this as start for building the upstream.

No dice with xchi enabled. In any case, when I look properly, there's 3 entries
in the lspci output for the host controller - one xhci and two ehci.

The ehci ones (reported under sound.git) are:

00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Contro
ller #2 (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 179b
        Memory at d4439000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
        Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
        Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced
Host Controller #1 (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 179b
        Memory at d4438000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
        Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
        Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

It also shows the xhci one, now, too.

There's no change to the behaviour when connecting the UA-25 - still
shows "using ehci",  which looks like what the distro kernel reports
too.

I'll try re-doing the kernel based off config.gz from the distro
kernel, as you suggest, probably this evening. What I'd actually done
was make defconfig, make localmodconfig and make menuconfig (enabling
a few things necessary to boot, and making the sound drivers be
modules)

If this problem is confined to the usb subsystem, it seems unlikely I
broke anything with my config operations, but I'm no expert certainly.

Cheers,

- Pete.