[alsa-devel] ASoC: mmap or read/write?

Prasant J pj0585 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:38:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm writing an alsa application for recording & playing 16 channel audio.

The application is intended to run on an embedded platform & the
resources are highly constrained.
My application is not performing well with read/write methods. I'm
considering using mmap but not able to get the right documentation or
start, so I want to know whether mmap really offers any advantages or
not.

Does the mmap method has any advantages over read/write?
Is there any thumb rule to decide when to use mmap or read/write?

-Prasant