[alsa-devel] [RFC] Fix for conflict of HDMI and SPDIF IEC958 controls

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Oct 15 12:09:40 CEST 2012

On 10/12/2012 05:18 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a long-standing problem in HD-audio regarding IEC958
> controls.  When both an SPDIF and an HDMI are created on the same
> card (e.g. one from analog codec and one from graphics chip), the
> driver assigns the IEC958 controls just with new indices, 0, 1, 2...
>
> The problem is that there is no way to connect between this index and
> the actual PCM device.  Currently, alsa-lib HDA-Intel.conf has a fixed
> configuration:
>    spdif  -> IEC958 xxx index=0, PCM dev=1
>    hdmi,0 -> IEC958 xxx index=0, PCM dev=3
>    hdmi,1 -> IEC958 xxx index=1, PCM dev=7
>    hdmi,2 -> IEC958 xxx index=2, PCM dev=8
>    hdmi,3 -> IEC958 xxx index=3, PCM dev=9
>
> So obviously spdif and the first hdmi conflict.

If these mixer controls need to be set to specific value for
playback/capture to work, why isn't this logic handled entirely in
kernel space in the first place?

I e, instead of relying on alsa-lib to setup "IEC958 Playback Default"
correctly for us, we always do what setting "IEC958 Playback Default"
would have done, but in the kernel directly instead.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic