[alsa-devel] Kernel panic with SB Live (snd_emu10k1) when sharing interrupts

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 8 11:17:14 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! PCI (PCI-IDs:
1102:0002 and 1102:7002) which I recently ran into trouble with.

I used the SB Live! to replace my SB128 PCI which ran fine in the
configuration (ASUS P8B-C/4L, see attached output from dmesg and lspci).
Once I swapped the sound cards, I booted up the machine and immediately
ran into a kernel panic [1] which seems to indicate that there is a
problem with interrupt sharing.

I there removed the Firewire card which was placed adjacent to the SB
Live and the machine ran stable again.

I assume that the snd_emu10k1 driver is sometimes not handling shared
interrupts properly, isn't it?

I wanted to report this as a bug in the ALSA bug tracker [2], but alas
the tracker is currently down.

I'm attaching the output of dmesg [3] as well as lspci [4]. Will provide
more information if requested.

Cheers,

Adrian