[alsa-devel] hdmi output (switching sample format/rates)

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:25:12 CEST 2012

In my audio application when I sometimes  need to switch to a
different sample format and/or rate, I usually leave the audio device
open and merely reconfigure the device to the new parameters. This
works with all the regular pcm devices, but it fails when I use the
"hdmi" device. It seemed to just silently fail and no audio output is
heard. As far as I know, no error condition is triggered (but I'll
admit, my knowledge of the alsa api is rather limited).

My question, Is this a bug or is it supposed to work this way and if
so are there ways to detect whether a devices needs to be reopened or
not.

Thanks,

Sander