[alsa-devel] Missing exactly 3 of 8 audio packets?

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Thu Nov 29 21:35:54 CET 2012

Dear Daniel (M) and Clemens,

I'd like to conclude this thread if I could. It seems clear that
configuring our USB audio card's descriptor with a bInterval value of
1 (a packet every microframe) was too aggressive, and was part of
what caused the packet stuttering issue. (Right?)

We almost certainly should increase bInterval; I'll try 2, and if
that seems stable will probably go to 3 (4 microframes) for some
margin. However, I'm still concerned that the symptoms don't sound
like a simple starvation issue, where I'd expect to have a missing
frame every once in a while. Instead, we were seeing reliable
operation interspersed with periods where lots of packets were being
consistently omitted. To me, this suggests that there's some other
issue going on, either in the USB stack or in the USB hardware itself.

Given that, I'm worried that increasing bInterval will just move the
symptoms around, making it harder to duplicate but not truly becoming
robust.

Any thoughts on this? Should I try chasing the issue into the Linux
USB development mailing list, or will they just say "set bInterval to
a larger value!"?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at suitable.com
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400