[alsa-devel] Missing exactly 3 of 8 audio packets?

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:48:00 CET 2012

On 26.11.2012 22:23, Daniel Griscom wrote:
> At 8:19 AM +0100 11/26/12, Daniel Mack wrote:

>>>  I did the test, and expected to either a) see the incrementing data
>>>  be contiguous even though the USB packet transmission was stuttering,
>>>  or b) see the incrementing data have gaps where the "missing" packets
>>  > were. However, what I saw was c): the USB packets never misbehaved.
>> Note that this is a potential difference between your two cases.
>>
>> prepare_playback_urb() from pcm.c will not always set
>> urb->number_of_packets to the maximum value but cut packets short at PCM
>> period boundaries.
>>
>> Could you move your pattern generating code down to that function? Just
>> look for the memcpy() calls there.
>
> OK, this time I got some real results. I can still get the USB packet
> stream to misbehave, and indeed the synthesized data is being lost.
> The output data present on the USB bus smoothly increments during
> each packet, continuing smoothly in adjacent packets. But, when one
> or two packets are missed, the next output data is numbered as if the
> packets (6 stereo frames each) had been generated but lost.
>
> Here's my code in linux-3.6.6/sound/usb/pcm.c, prepare_playback_urb():
>
>> 	static short left = 0;
>> 	static short right = 0x0404;
>> 	short *sp;

>> 	bytes = frames * stride;
>> #define FAKE_DATA
>> #ifdef FAKE_DATA
>> 	for (i = 0, sp = (short *)(urb->transfer_buffer);
>> 	   i < bytes; /* no increment */) {
>> 		*sp++ = left++;
>> 		i += sizeof(*sp);
>> 		*sp++ = right++;
>> 		i += sizeof(*sp);
>> 	}
>> #else
>> 	if (subs->hwptr_done + bytes > runtime->buffer_size * stride) {
>> 		/* err, the transferred area goes over buffer boundary. */
>> 		unsigned int bytes1 =
>> 			runtime->buffer_size * stride - subs->hwptr_done;
>> 		memcpy(urb->transfer_buffer,
>> 		       runtime->dma_area + subs->hwptr_done, bytes1);
>> 		memcpy(urb->transfer_buffer + bytes1,
>> 		       runtime->dma_area, bytes - bytes1);
>> 	} else {
>> 		memcpy(urb->transfer_buffer,
>> 		       runtime->dma_area + subs->hwptr_done, bytes);
>> 	}
>> #endif
>> 	subs->hwptr_done += bytes;
>
> Did I place the generation code in the correct location?

Yes.

> And, what should I look at next?

As Clemens said, check the error fields in the isochronous frames when
the urb is given back to the driver. For isochronous data, there's
nothing the driver can do about failed transmissions, hence there's no
code to handle such conditions. But it might help understand what's
going on.

In any case, this now certainly looks more like a strange USB problem,
rather than a bug in snd-usb. I copied the USB list. The thread starts here:

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2012-November/057259.html

Daniel