[alsa-devel] 100.0% power usage of Device Audio codec (HDA) on wake

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Nov 20 09:07:21 CET 2012

On 11/20/2012 07:54 AM, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 11:53:49 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Waking up from suspend to RAM.
>>
>> And does the same issue occur on hibernation, too?
>> Basically both S2RAM and S2DISK use the same suspend/resume path
>> regarding the sound driver, so the behavior should be consistent in
>> both cases.
>
> s2disk doesn't work here / isn't configured properly so I can't tell
> ad hoc.

>>> 3.2.0-4-amd64 from Debian wheezy:
>>>    http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
>>
>> OK, could you check the latest Linus tree (at least 3.7-rc5) whether
>> the problem is still present?  If it is, please keep using it for the
>> further testing instead of 3.2.0.  3.2.0 is way too old to debug
>> primarily.
>
> I'm running 3.7.0-rc6 now, with configuration from the "original" Debian
> kernel, make oldconfig and all choices to default.

The Ubuntu kernel team does mainline builds -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds - which provide the latest
upstream kernels.

>> Also, try the latest alsa-lib from git tree, too.  I thought David
>> provides some packages built from the latest repo?
>
> I've found this repository by David:
>
>    https://launchpad.net/~diwic/+archive/dkms
>
> however it seems to be deprecated and points to this:
>
>    https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/alsa-dailyvvv
>
> which however only contains "dkms-hda" packages. I'm not sure what
> those packages contain, or rather whether they contain the latest alsa
> and utils. It seems that they "only" contain an out of tree hda
> build, but I'm not sure.
>
> I'll try to compile latest alsa "the Debian way" and see if that changes
> anything.

The thing I currently compile and maintain are DKMS packages for the HDA
driver. We're never daily built alsa-lib, and the full sound tree builds
have been discontinued since almost everyone used the DKMS packages (or
the full mainline kernel). See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS for how to install them.

I haven't followed this thread in total, and I hadn't seen the bug
report before it was reported here, but I find it a little strange that
a headphone amp, even at full power, would give out so much heat that
your fan would spin up (I mean, this doesn't happen when you normally
listen to music through headphones, right?). I could be wrong, but
AFAIK, a codec chip just doesn't cause that much heat in /any/
situation. So it's probably something else?

It does put another question - from where does powertop get its values,
and do we have to do anything on our side to make sure / aid them being
correct?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic