[alsa-devel] snd_pcm_wait function (really snd_pcm_draiin)

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Nov 16 20:10:38 CET 2012

On 11/16/2012 05:27 PM, Enno Fennema wrote:
> On 11/16/12 11:41, Daniel Sanz wrote:
>> Thanks, Trent, I've been playing a bit with snd_pcm_drain,
>> snd_pcm_writei, blocking mode, non-blocking mode, etc. but even if I
>
> I wanted to play a short sound and release the pcm. It works with a
> non-block drain as Clemens suggested.
>
> I noticed using gettimeofday() around drain() that it takes a bit over 2
> seconds. Rather long for a sound that only takes 0.1 sec.

That is a known pulseaudio problem; which we also noted on PulseConf a
few weeks ago. I want to do something about it but it is not on the top
of my priority list right now.

Are the rest of you trying with PulseAudio as well? Maybe it could be
worth also trying the direct plughw path do see if the behaviour is
different.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic