[alsa-devel] USB hardware that supports implicit feedback?

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Fri Nov 16 03:39:15 CET 2012

At 7:22 AM +0800 11/16/12, Daniel Mack wrote:
>Hi Daniel,
>Hi Elad,
>
>On 16.11.2012 05:32, Daniel Griscom wrote:
>>  At 10:02 PM +0100 11/15/12, Eldad Zack wrote:
>>>  Hi Daniel,

>>>  What exactly doesn't work?
>>
>>  The audio output stream (from the computer to my device) runs at a
>>  few frames per second higher or lower rate than that of the input
>>  stream (from my device to the computer). The actual difference seems
>>  to be stable on a specific machine, but varies greatly between
>>  machines (I've seen differences from +7fps to -2fps; I presume this
>>  is due to differences in CPU clock frequencies).
>
>So you're saying that this is what you experience after you added code
>to make the driver use the implicit feedback mechanism? Over which time
>did you measure this and how exactly? Because frankly, I doubt that -
>the data rate is purely derived from the number of incoming samples.

This has been the case for a while; we started work with ALSA 1.0.23,
but upgrading to kernel 3.6.6 (with included ALSA code) didn't change
anything. We have yet to do any patching of ALSA for this matter.

>Does your device demand the same number of *bytes* or samples/channel to
>be sent?

I'll have to check that.

>  >>  > Is there any commercial USB hardware out there that supports implicit
>>>
>>>  I'm not an ALSA dev, but I recently posted a series of patches for the
>>>  M-Audio Fast Track C400, which uses the implicit feedback code that was
>>>  already in the tree for other devices.
>
>Yes, sorry for not responding. I've seen this, but didn't have time yet
>to respond. Thanks for doing this.
>
>>  So, this device uses implicit feedback to tell ALSA to send output
>>  data at the same rate as its input data? Very cool; I've ordered one
>>  to test.
>
>The code I wrote for implicit feedback is used by the M-Audio FTU
>devices,

So, with an FTU the implicit feedback code works? What version of
kernel/ALSA should I use - the latest?

>  although I would actually not recommend buying one.

Too late...

>  >> Take a look at sound/usb/pcm.c, there are quite a few hints to how this
>>>  is discovered currently.
>>
>>  We've been looking there already, but will dig deeper.
>
>I might help if you posted a patch with the changes you made to support
>your device.

No such patch.

>  >        AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>>           bLength                17
>>           bDescriptorType        36
>>           bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
>>           bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
>>           bNrChannels             2
>>           bSubframeSize           2
>>           bBitResolution         16
>>           bSamFreqType            3 Discrete
>>           tSamFreq[ 0]        32000
>>           tSamFreq[ 1]        44100
>>           tSamFreq[ 2]        48000
>>         Endpoint Descriptor:
>>           bLength                 9
>>           bDescriptorType         5
>>           bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
>>           bmAttributes           37
>>             Transfer Type            Isochronous
>>             Synch Type               Asynchronous
>>             Usage Type               Implicit feedback Data
>
>Note that I never tested the automatic discovery of that mode. The
>device I wrote the code for doesn't announce it that way, and so a quirk
>was needed in pcm.c to make it happen. Ideally though, what you did is
>the right thing to do, just just need to make sure the driver really
>obeys that setting :)

Well, that's good to know anyway.

Lots to think about, and thanks,
Dan

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at suitable.com
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400