[alsa-devel] USB hardware that supports implicit feedback?

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 00:22:27 CET 2012

Hi Daniel,
Hi Elad,

On 16.11.2012 05:32, Daniel Griscom wrote:
> At 10:02 PM +0100 11/15/12, Eldad Zack wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Daniel Griscom wrote:
>>>  I'm having trouble getting implicit feedback working with my custom
>>>  capture/playback USB audio class device, even with the latest kernel. I
>>>  presume it's a problem with my device's configuration, but can't figure out
>>>  exactly what the problem is (after a whole lotta investigation).
>>
>> What exactly doesn't work?
>
> The audio output stream (from the computer to my device) runs at a
> few frames per second higher or lower rate than that of the input
> stream (from my device to the computer). The actual difference seems
> to be stable on a specific machine, but varies greatly between
> machines (I've seen differences from +7fps to -2fps; I presume this
> is due to differences in CPU clock frequencies).

So you're saying that this is what you experience after you added code
to make the driver use the implicit feedback mechanism? Over which time
did you measure this and how exactly? Because frankly, I doubt that -
the data rate is purely derived from the number of incoming samples.

Does your device demand the same number of *bytes* or samples/channel to
be sent?

>>  > Is there any commercial USB hardware out there that supports implicit
>>>  feedback? I assume the ALSA developers are testing against something, but I
>>>  can't find anything appropriate.
>>
>> I'm not an ALSA dev, but I recently posted a series of patches for the
>> M-Audio Fast Track C400, which uses the implicit feedback code that was
>> already in the tree for other devices.

Yes, sorry for not responding. I've seen this, but didn't have time yet
to respond. Thanks for doing this.

> So, this device uses implicit feedback to tell ALSA to send output
> data at the same rate as its input data? Very cool; I've ordered one
> to test.

The code I wrote for implicit feedback is used by the M-Audio FTU
devices, although I would actually not recommend buying one.

>> Take a look at sound/usb/pcm.c, there are quite a few hints to how this
>> is discovered currently.
>
> We've been looking there already, but will dig deeper.

I might help if you posted a patch with the changes you made to support
your device.

>        AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>          bLength                17
>          bDescriptorType        36
>          bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
>          bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
>          bNrChannels             2
>          bSubframeSize           2
>          bBitResolution         16
>          bSamFreqType            3 Discrete
>          tSamFreq[ 0]        32000
>          tSamFreq[ 1]        44100
>          tSamFreq[ 2]        48000
>        Endpoint Descriptor:
>          bLength                 9
>          bDescriptorType         5
>          bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
>          bmAttributes           37
>            Transfer Type            Isochronous
>            Synch Type               Asynchronous
>            Usage Type               Implicit feedback Data

Note that I never tested the automatic discovery of that mode. The
device I wrote the code for doesn't announce it that way, and so a quirk
was needed in pcm.c to make it happen. Ideally though, what you did is
the right thing to do, just just need to make sure the driver really
obeys that setting :)

Daniel