[alsa-devel] Status of Zoom R16

Natanael Olaiz nolaiz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:52:16 CET 2012

El 08/30/2011 04:14 PM, Daniel Mack escribió:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Evan <evan.ta.88 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it's currently unsupported. The device doesn't comply to the USB
>>> audio spec, and nobody with such hardware has yet taken the time to
>>> implement a driver.
>>
>> How hard is this? If I buy it and help with testing, is this something that
>> can be done without too much hassle?
> Ideally, you would have an USB hardware analyzer to sniff the traffic.
> Software tracers are an alternative, but I never used any, so I can't
> tell how well they work, especially for isochronous transfers.
>
> Once you know how the device is set up and how the stream is
> organized, it should just be a matter of time and your programming
> skills to make it work. And there are several drivers for proprietary
> USB hardware in the kernel that you can take as an example. Needless
> to say that such effort would be much appreciated by many users :)

Sorry to reply such an old mail, but I want to ask: any news? I didn't
found any.

I have one R16, and I want to help to make it works as far as I can. I'm
specially interested in make it works as a MIDI controller.

Can you give me some tips about how to procede? I would go for the
software sniffer.

I'll be also glad if you can give any example of similar driver code
that I can use as a base to modify and do some tests with the device
communication.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Natanael.