[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Ticks when playing to USB DAC at high sample rates

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 11:39:48 CET 2012

[cc alsa-devel]

On 04.11.2012 02:25, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> On Fri 26 October 2012 15:21:06 Jeffrey Barish wrote:

>>> Which kernel did you use when you heard the 'blibs'?
>>
>> The latest news is bad.  I am on 3.2.0 now.  The USB DAC is working
>> perfectly at this moment at both 96 kHz and 88.2 kHz without the external
>> USB hub (imagine calling that bad news).  If I set the srate to 88.2 kHz
>> and stop and start the sine wave, sometimes I get the blip.  Forget about
>> its being periodic.  It was definitely periodic before lunch; now I usually
>> get random intervals if I get any blips at all.  As I am typing this
>> message, I can't get blips at all.  There was some correlation between
>> changing sample rates and blips, but I can't reproduce that behavior now.
>> What is most weird is that I haven't gotten any ticks since lunch with any
>> kernel or with either sample rate, yet they were reliable earlier today
>> unless I used the external USB hub. I obviously need to experiment some
>> more to see whether I can observe a pattern.
>
> To conclude (?) this thread, I am now convinced that the anomalies I observed
> were unrelated to the device driver.  I had two theories remaining.  One was
> that the problem was somehow related to an overheating problem.  I used a heat
> gun to convince myself that the theory was wrong.  The other was that the
> problem had something to do with services running in the background that
> interfered with the device driver.  I removed or disabled all services that I
> could identify as superfluous.  Removed services include zeitgeist, apparmor,
> modemmanager, mdadm, and bluetooth.  Disabled services include atd, dns-clean,
> and pppd-dns.  The system has been running perfectly with an 88.2 kHz sample
> rate and no external USB hub for 2 days.  However, I tried booting the system
> with a copy of the OS from before I removed superfluous services.  It still ran
> perfectly.  Thus, I cannot convince myself that removing superfluous services
> actually solved the problem.  I suppose it's possible that some service was
> running sporadically, which could explain why the problem seemed to come and
> go and also why the problem did not occur when I booted the copy of the OS.
> As long as the problem remains dormant I have no alternative but to move on
> and see whether the problem eventually recurs.  Only time will tell.
>
> Thanks for all the help.  Hey, I built a kernel and got my own version of the
> device driver to run.  That was exciting.

> I'm back.  The USB DAC continued to work for two more days after my last
> message and then the blips resumed.  I've been digging into the driver code
> for two days.  I spent today trying to convince myself that the driver is
> actually using an asynchronous protocol.  The blips are almost certainly buffer
> underruns, which I could account for if the driver were not responding to
> asynchronous feedback from the DAC.  I expected to see a deviation from the
> pattern of one frame with 89 samples followed by 4 frames with 88 (which
> [...]

Thanks for all your investigation on this! Sending computed data instead
of the payload delivered by the ALSA stack is in fact a very good way to
isolate the issue.

The question is: if the algorithm in the USB driver miscalculates the
number of samples to send over time, what't the reason for that? Does
the device report bogus values or is there this a bug in the driver?

Did you read chapter 5.4.12.1 of the USB2.0 spec, and can you explain
where you suspect the bug to be? The current implementation in the
driver is quite straight forward, mapping all feedback values to Q16.16
and keeping the lower 16bits around for phase compensation between the
calculation of the packet sizes.

If you find a better solution, please share it here, preferably in the
form of a patch :)

Thanks,
Daniel