[alsa-devel] UCM/DAPM - saving power when idle?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Nov 1 11:39:01 CET 2012

I don't deal much with ASoC, so sorry if I'm missing something obvious
here...

When a certain use case is activated, that would then activate some DAPM
widgets, causing the codec to consume more power. So, we should
essentially avoid this unless we're actually playing back/recording.
But, why isn't there a "disable all use cases" command, or possibly an
"idle" command? (That, essentially, e g pulseaudio should set whenever
playback/recording stops)

Or; the option would be that the codec is actually powered down, but
only activates itself when there is a stream; but this looks like it
could cause problem with loopback paths (e g listening to FM radio,
where there are no streams passing through CPU/main memory).

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic