[alsa-devel] snd-usb endpoint rework

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Sat May 26 18:48:01 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel,

I have tried to do a bit more thorough testing, find the details below.
Hope this helps!

>> blablack at igorito:~$ aplay 10\ -\ Track\ 10-L.wav
>> ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
>> ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
>> snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
>> ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
>> ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
>> returned error: No such file or directory
>> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
>> ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
>> returned error: No such file or directory
>> ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file
>> or directory
>> ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
>> aplay: main:682: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> What does "aplay -l" show? Also, what does it show on the older Ubuntu
> kernel? Is there any difference?

That is just me being an idiot. Ubuntu never mounts a USB sound card
on the first slot.
Compiling with the original Alsa coming from Ubuntu, I get the same error.

>> No sound...
>> I tried to reboot several times, unplug/replug, checked alsamixer: all
>> look fine to me but still no sound.
>> Actually, it is not "exactly" no sound: I can see the 4 front leds
>> flash very quickly, and I can hear a click in the speakers (with the
>> FX, the click is longer due to the reverb, handy to notice it!).
>
> The 4 front LEDs on the FTU signal input level activity, not output. Is
> there anything connected to those inputs?

There are stuff plugged on the 3 first inputs (2 for my guitar, 1 for
my mic), bit they are all turned off during testing.
This click and the 4 leds flash is very similar to the one you have
when the FTU is plugged in to the USB port after being turned on.
Somehow, when I want to play something, it makes the 4 leds flash + a
click/crackle in the speakers.

>> IN BOTH CASES, FTU AND UA-25EX
>>
>> Starting jack result in an immediate freeze of the system.
>
> I really fail to see any of these issues on my system. I tried with both
> jackd and jackd2 and set them to real time priorities and chose 64 bytes
> sample frames in PureData. All good, no lockups. Can you describe your
> jackd setup? How do you start it?

jackd -dalsa -dhw:1 -r48000 -p256 -n3 -Xseq

Normal Ubuntu Kernel:
	- Compiled with low latency settings
	- 3.2.18
	- Original Alsa

	* FTU
		- mplayer: OK
		- jack: OK

	* UA-25Ex
		- mplayer: OK
		- jack: OK

Ubuntu Kernel + Alsa Git:
	- Compiled with low latency settings
	- 3.2.18
	- Alsa from git alsa-kmirror and alsa-driver
	- git alsa-kmirror and alsa-driver fetched today (25th May)

	* FTU
		- mplayer: plays but no sound
		- jack: freezes the whole system

	* UA-25Ex
		- mplayer: Ok
		- jack: freezes the whole system

"Pig" Kernel:
	- Original Ubuntu Kernel
	- 3.2.18
	- Compiled with low latency settings
	- sound/usb directory from Kernel replaced by sound/usb directory
from Takashi's Kernel - thus the name of this setup, "Pig" :) :)

	* FTU
		- mplayer: I get click + 4 led flash, and then just got half a
second of the song before it goes mute. Unplug/Replug, same results
(except the sound goes mute after 5/10 sec, tried several times, I
couldn't to 15 seconds). Mplayer keeps reading, but there is no sound.
		- jack: Works ok, but I have no sound! (was after unplug/replug)

	* UA-25Ex
		- mplayer: OK
		- jack: freezes the whole system

Takashi's Kernel:
	- Compiled with low latency settings
	- 3.4.0
	- Alsa from Takashi's kernel
	- Fetched today (26th May)

	* FTU
		- mplayer: I get click + 4 led flash, and then just got half a
second of the song before it goes mute. Unplug/Replug, same results
(except the sound goes mute after 5/10 sec, tried several times, I
couldn't to 15 seconds). Mplayer keeps reading, but there is no sound.
		- jack:  Works ok, but I have no sound! (was after unplug/replug)

	* UA-25Ex
		- mplayer: OK
		- jack: OK

I hope this will help you find out where the problem is.
At least for now I can use the 3.4.0 kernel with the UA-25Ex

Let me know if I can provide you with any more details.

Regards,
Aurélien