[alsa-devel] Play a sine wave with alsa

Maarten de Boer maarten at resorama.com
Fri May 11 01:07:57 CEST 2012

Hi Luca,

There are many things wrong with this code.... To name a few:
- you try to set the samplerate to 5000 Hz (I don't think any soundcard would support that. 44100 would be a common choice)
- you misinterpret what a period is. (see documention link below)
- you fill a buffer only for one period, which normally would be very short. Typically, you should keep filling the buffer for many periods in a row.

I think you would be better off using some library on top of alsa that may be easier to get started with, like RtAudio or PortAudio. Once you are more familiar with the concepts, you could move on to alsa.

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/

If you do decide to use alsa anyway, I recommend you read the alsa-lib pcm documentation:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm.html

Also, you could have a look at the examples in the alsa-lib source code. I believe there is actually an example that does exactly what you want.

Good luck.

Maarten