[alsa-devel] Follow Up: "Why my linux OS has only 8 sound cards ? How can I modify it ?"

Maciej Paszta maciej.paszta at mobile.put.edu.pl
Tue May 8 14:52:30 CEST 2012

Hi!

This issue has already been brought up by Chris Shen on Nov 8 2011.
Quick reminder: I have  10 sound cards which need to have oss emulation
enabled. However, I only see 8 devices (dsp-dsp7). Takashi suggested a
patch to workaround this problem:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2011-November/045764.html
I've applied it to kernel 3.0.0 and the only result I get is message
appearing in kernel logs: "unable to register OSS PCM device 8:0". I've
done some debugging and the registration fails on these lines
(sound/core/sound_oss.c):
register1 = register_sound_special_device(f_ops, minor, carddev);
if (register1 != minor)
{
     snd_printk(KERN_ERR "OSS: 4, register1: %i, minor %i\n", register1,
minor);
     goto __end;
}
the debug lines seem to be constant about the value of "register1" ==
-2. I would really appreciate any help with this problem and I will be
glad to test any patches, that may solve the issue.

--
Maciej Paszta
Mobile Systems Research Labs, Poznan University of Technology