[alsa-devel] amixer shows capability "penum" on every Simple mixer control

Christian Esken (KDE) esken at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 22:09:35 CET 2012

 Hello,

 when I run amixer it shows the capability "penum" on nearly every
 Simple mixer control.
 I posted the bug report
 https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=5496 , but
 Raymond asked me to report it on this mailing list ("as it is related to
 this patch 6d511eefa05878abee9f8b9145697230de605200 Implements support
 for capture/playback enums.").

 I posted  details for the following two examples in
 https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=5496 :

 1) "Creative X-Fi" does not have any Enum's. alsamixer does not show
 Enums's. amixer lists "penum" for ALL Simple mixer controls.

 2) "HDA ATI SB" has no penum's, only 3 cenum's. alsamixer shows it
 correctly, but amixer disagrees and shows penum for NEARLY ALL Simple
 mixer controls (except for those with cpability "cenum").

 I found this as I received several bug reports for KMix with "absurd"
 amixer output. I could perceive from those bug report that the bug is
 affecting a lot (or all?) sound cards.

   Christian