[alsa-devel] ASOC - Codecs : Renaming of spdif_tranceiver.c

Nitin PAI nitinmpai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:45:07 CET 2012

Hi,

In my project I am feeling of need to have generic_codec.  This will
provide the required codec_dais for the usecases like

-HDMI/SPDIF where there is no codec involved.
-For audio over MOST, where CPLD/glue logic is used
-For complex audio DSPs connected which will be mostly programmed in the
user-space.
-SOC manufactures who would like to ship their drivers without having to
know what will be the final codec that will be present in the system.

Currently there is spdif_tranceiver.c which serves the purpose for spdif,
but using this for other usecases will create confusion while shipping the
code.

What is the best way to carry forward?

1) Use spdif_tranceiver.c for all the purpose.
disadvantage:  this will create more confusion while shipping.

2)Deprecate spdif_transciever.c and call it generic_codec. Change the dai
names and the function names.

3)Create another generic_codec.c and keep the spdif_transceiver.c and
deprecate the latter in next version.

4) Any other ideas ?

Thanks,
Nitin