[alsa-devel] Internal speaker output from Sony Vaio Z (2010 model) lost somewhere between 3.1.0 and 3.2.6

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 07:26:42 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 07:47 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > I don't know if tiwai's later suggestion to try the sound.git tree is
> > still relevant, since I expect all of the stuff there that was 'new'
> > back in March has been merged into later kernels since, and it's still
> > broken. But if so, send me the word and I'll try it.
> >
> > Thanks! I promise to reply more promptly for the next few weeks at
> > least.
>
> OK, then try the following two patches.
> The first one is to make the speaker-pin as the primary output like
> the earlier kernel (3.1.x), and the second one is to add the COEF
> setup for ALC889.  Check each of them alone gives any difference.

First patch on its own - alc-no-primary-hp-out.diff - fixes the bug.
Output through the speakers works. I also tested that it doesn't do
anything bad to the speaker/headphone output: plugging in headphones
routes the output through that socket automatically, no need to change
any PA setting, and unplugging the headphones sends it back through the
internal speakers again. The internal mic works fine in all cases. So
with just the first patch, everything works correctly as far as I can
test (I don't have an external mic to check).

Didn't try the other patch on its own or in combination yet. I'll do so
tomorrow, unless you tell me it's not necessary. Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey