[alsa-devel] Merging alsa-driver and alsa-kmirror to one GIT repo

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 24 15:34:55 CEST 2012

At Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:17:57 +0200,
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 	I believe, it's time to manage only one GIT repository for the
> alsa-driver package now. The merge has benefits mainly for the end users
> - bisecting may work, the correlation between kernel sources and our
> out-of-kernel build framework becomes more strong.

The biggest question from my side is how to handle it in future.

IMHO, the current alsa-driver tree structure isn't in the best form.
Alternatively, we can change the alsa-driver tree into the standard
linux-kernel tree form: i.e. linux-kernel plus the extra alsa-driver
build stubs.  In that way, you can keep the consistency by pulling the
main kernel part easily into alsa-driver tree if the change in the
build stub is required.

Of course, it means some directory changes would be required.  But
git pull is much saner than cherry-picking each commit to a different
tree (alsa-kmirror) with directory/path conversions.

The downside is that creating a traditional alsa-driver release
tarball won't be straightforward but need some script.  But it
shouldn't be too hard.

Also, the release management of alsa-driver is another question.
It's pretty obvious that 99% of changes nowadays are in the driver.
And we are working rather together with the kernel release cycle more
than the ALSA release.  Thus it's more natural to release the
alsa-driver along the kernel release cycle.

That is, we may release alsa-driver-3.5 now containing the same stuff
for 3.5 kernel but also with the external build stubs.  It no longer
needs to stick with the old "ALSA version", IMO.  The ALSA version
is rather confusing for both users and developers since the same
version appears in the different kernels with pretty different ALSA
driver codes actually.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Takashi