[alsa-devel] Full duplex ALSA-plugin

Christian Gruber christian.gruber at voiceinterconnect.de
Tue Jul 10 16:28:33 CEST 2012

I was looking for information on writing an echo cancellation ALSA-plugin. So I studied
the ALSA-plugin docs and also found several interesting threads in this mailing list. But
what I found out, was quiet disillusioning.

If I understood the ALSA-plugin concept right, there is no possibility to write a plugin
working on two streams, a playback and a record stream, simultaneously. One can only write
a filter plugin, which works either on a playback stream or a record stream but not both.
And there is no possibility to open a full duplex stream (consisting of playback and
record) with snd_pcm_open().

Is there a reason, why full duplex streams are not implemented yet? Or is it planned in
the future to implement this feature?

Regards,
Christian