[alsa-devel] How to handle parameter variation across different boards but same platform

Hebbar, Gururaja gururaja.hebbar at ti.com
Wed Jul 4 16:17:48 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 19:31:18, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 01:43:12PM +0000, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 18:47:50, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > > What do you mean by "board"?  If these are plugin modules for your
> > > platform you need to either identify this at runtime and register a
> > > different machine driver or select at compile time.
>
> > By board I mean a new development board.
>
> > New board
> > sysclk = 24MHz
> > codec_name = "tlv320aic3x-codec.1-001b"
>
> > Previous Board
> > sysclk = 12MHz
> > .codec_name = "tlv320aic3x-codec.2-001b",
>
> > Both boards share the same machine is API (machine_is_am33xx()).
>
> > So, is there any mechanism/api to differentiate these 2 boards inside
> > Code?
>
> > Has anyone else faced such situation?
>
> If these are totally different boards they should have different machine
> IDs set so machine_is_() should identify.  If that isn't there then you
> need to do something custom to your products to identify the boards
> further.

They are different boards with same SoC (AM33xx). So they both are true for
machine_is_am33xx().

We have a means to detect the type of board but in arch/arm/mach-omap2/
board file. However, I believe it is not recommended to call boards api
inside drivers.

Can you give me more info about the "custom option" you suggested?

Regards,
Gururaja