[alsa-devel] 24 bit sample embedded in 32 bits

Vipin Kumar vipin.kumar at st.com
Mon Jul 2 12:11:32 CEST 2012

Hello,

I assume that the alsa framework expects the 24 bit sample data to be
packed one after the other. for example while recording a 2 channel, 24
bit sample data, typically the dma reads a fifo (which receives data
from adc) and prepares a buffer which is then passed to the upper layers.

This buffer is expeted to be 24byte left channel and then 24 byte right
channel. Am I right?

If the above assumption is correct, I need to find a way to tell the
framework that the data is 24bit but is embedded in 32 bit. ie 32bit
left and then 32 bit right channel data

I am tending to think that there has to be a way but I am unable to find
it. Can you please point me to the right direction

Regards
Vipin