[alsa-devel] soc-dsp programming model for loopbacks

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Jan 25 19:05:34 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 05:48:57PM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 17:20 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Depends how they're allocated - the DSP driver can always do the
> > management on behalf of the DSP firmware if the hardware is structured
> > in a way that makes that make sense (for example, if the CPU never talks
> > to the outside world directly).

> Wouldn't that either mean the DSP driver (re)implements some of the CPU
> DAI driver operations OR the DSP driver calling the CPU DAI driver ops
> directly ?

Like I say it depends on how the hardware is structured - the cases I
was thinking about in the example above were those where the CPU needs
to push everything through the DSP (or other in-SoC IP block, some have
other interesting hardware in the way) so the DAI driver the CPU itself
ends up with is different to and probably much simpler than that for the
external interface.