[alsa-devel] hda-intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x01db0000

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jan 23 10:51:43 CET 2012

At Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:46:30 +0100,
Petr Baudis wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:18:24AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Thanks.  Switching to the polling mode is really harmless.
> > So, basically you can ignore these messages.  I can change it only as a
> > debug message.
> >
> > OTOH, if the switching to single_cmd mode happens, this is a serious
> > problem.  But, as far as I see in alsa-info.sh output, it didn't
> > happen.
>
> Ok, then the bug is in handling of polling mode in this particular chip.
> After such switch to polling mode, applications will get stuck on
> releasing the soundcard.

What do you mean "releasing the soundcard"?  Closing the PCM stream,
or unloading the module, or at shutdown?

> Another symptom I forgot to describe is that
> the last ~100ms of output will keep repeating when I pause/stop
> playback, one has to mute the volume to get rid of this. Again, this
> starts happenning only sometimes after the switch to polling mode,
> but then keeps happenning fairly consistently.

Hm, this sounds like some interrupt issue, then.  After all, switching
to the polling-mode happens because the expected interrupt didn't
arrive in time.  If a similar problem happens in the PCM stream, too,
it might be some other generic interrupt problem.

thanks,