[alsa-devel] hdsp rpm support

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 11:54:00 CET 2012

Hi Fons

I'm glad to hear about people having success with this issue.

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 10:26 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:05:59AM +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
> > I would like to know current state of the RME HDSP RPM support. There
> > was a thread [1] in 2008 on this list about the issue and things looked
> > promising back then. However, I'm still unable to upload the firmware
> > with alsa-driver from git on my Ubuntu 11.04 (32bit) machine with a
> > 2.6.38 kernel. I posted a detailed description of the issue on the
> > alsa-user list here [2].
>
> It seems that the developer of the driver - Adrian Knoth - has
> two versions: one that works for me, and one that works for
> another user.
>
> AFAICS, the problem is with the code that identifies the card
> as an RPM, Multiface or Digiface, and that triggers ths HW into
> accepting the firmware. Once past this point everything works
> perfectly, including switching the phone preamps etc.

I can confirm this. When I upload the firmware with Windows, I can fully
use the card and a recent 'hdspmixer' shows me the correct number of
channels. However, the culprit seems to be uploading the firmware.

> I've use it with both Cardbus and ExpressCard.

Good to hear.

May I ask kindly for the 'other' version of the driver, which I would be
happy to test?

> One more user would probably help...

I'm willing to test and report back (as much as I can as a non-dev).

Roman