[alsa-devel] Read and write different buffer sizes

Elias Kokkinis ekokkinis at upatras.gr
Fri Jan 13 13:19:41 CET 2012

Hello all,

I would like to ask if it is possible in ALSA to define different buffer sizes in the input and output streams.

I am using PCM sound and I want to read 2048 samples, do some processing involving overlap-add and then keep 1024 of them and put them to the output. And so on...

So I want to have the same sample rate and everything but different buffer sizes. Is this possible? I have tried an implementation of this, but I think the output for some reason still outputs 2048 samples and the audio is choppy, like having 1024 samples of audio and 1024 of silence.

I don't know if I am making myself clear here, maybe it's the 10 hours of work up to now, but anyway any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Elias Kokkinis