[alsa-devel] Trying to understand alsa

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 00:36:53 CET 2012

> If a packet arrives very late (and one will, eventually), you will
> underrun.  That's unavoidable. You can check for SND_PCM_STATE_XRUN
> from snd_pcm_state().  It's undocumented, but you need to call
> snd_pcm_avail_update() first to get an accurate reading from
> snd_pcm_state(). When an underrun occurs, recover with
> snd_pcm_recover() and then start writing data again.

Ok, this my first attempt at recovery, still haven't solved buffering
problem so it underruns for each and every write.

Does this look roughly correct ?

Thanks,
Jon

#ifdef ALSA
                                // snd_pcm_writen - writes non interleaved (mono) samples
                                // bufs an explicit void* pointer type set to point at real sample buffer "audio"
                                // broken pipe indicates buffer underrun

                                numrecs=sizeof(audio)/2;                // 1k buffer, 512 samples
                                //printf("%d \n", snd_pcm_wait(playback_handle[activeslot],1));
                                err = snd_pcm_writen (playback_handle[activeslot], &bufs, numrecs);
                                if (err<numrecs)
                                {
                                        fflush(stdout);
                                        if (err>0)
                                        {
                                                fprintf (stderr, "snd_pcm_writen: wrote only %d\n",err);
                                                fflush(stderr);
                                        }
                                        else
                                        {
                                                if (err == EPIPE)
                                                {
                                                        errb=snd_pcm_recover(playback_handle[activeslot],err,0);                // error passed is resullt of writen
                                                        if (errb<0)
                                                        {
                                                                fprintf(stderr,"Failed to recover from underrun\n");
                                                                fflush(stderr);
                                                                exit(1);
                                                        }
                                                }
                                                else
                                                {
                                                        fprintf (stderr, "snd_pcm_writen:  write to audio interface failed (%s) (%d)\n", snd_strerror (err),err);
                                                        fflush(stdout);
                                                        fflush(stderr);
                                                        exit (1);
                                                }