[alsa-devel] Dell N5110 HDA External Speaker is mute

Cefn Hoile alsa-project.org at cefn.com
Thu Jan 12 17:00:53 CET 2012

On 12 January 2012 15:18, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:11:16 +0000,
> Cefn Hoile wrote:
>>
>> On 12 January 2012 11:59, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

>> > You can change the GPIO setup via hda-verb on the fly.
>> > For example, to set GPIO bit 0, try
>> >        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_MASK 0x01
>> >        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DIR 0x01
>> >        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x01
>> > where the output direction is assumed, and only GPIO 0 is set.
>> > For GPIO bit 1,
>> >        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_MASK 0x02
>> >        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DIR 0x02
>> >        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x02
>> > and 0x04 for GPIO bit 2.  Your device have up to three GPIO bits.
>> >
>> > If none of above doesn't any change, try to set DATA 0 instead of 1,
>> > and/or DIR 0 instead of 1.
>> >

>> > Takashi

>> I have tried the attached script, which hopefully corresponds with the
>> GPIO exploration regime you wanted me to try. Please take a look at
>> the sequence in case there could be some combination I missed based on
>> trying to interpret your description, or if there's some kind of
>> reload step I need to do.
>
> Yeah, there are some bugs :)
> The combination should be (mask/dir/data)
> 1/1/0 1/1/1 1/0/0 1/0/1
> 2/2/0 2/2/2 2/0/0 2/0/2
> 4/4/0 4/4/4 4/0/0 4/0/4
>
> Also, as a test, use aplay with -Dplughw option.
> This skips PA and others.
>

> Takashi
>
>> When running this GPIO script as...
>> sudo ./setgpio.sh
>> ...with headphones on my N5110 it plays the sample every time, and
>> with speakers it is always silent.
>>
>> Here's an example log of execution...
>>
>> cefn at cefn-oneiric-dell:~$ sudo ./setgpio.sh
>> [sudo] password for cefn:
>> SETTING GPIO 0x01 MASK, DIRECTION AND DATA TO [0x01 0x00 0x00]
>> nid = 0x1, verb = 0x716, param = 0x1
>> value = 0x0
>> nid = 0x0, verb = 0x717, param = 0x1
>> value = 0x0
>> nid = 0x0, verb = 0x715, param = 0x1
>> value = 0x0
>> Home directory /home/cefn not ours.
>> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
>> Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
>> SETTING GPIO 0x02 MASK, DIRECTION AND DATA TO [0x01 0x00 0x00]
>> nid = 0x1, verb = 0x716, param = 0x2
>> value = 0x0
>> nid = 0x0, verb = 0x717, param = 0x2
>> value = 0x0
>> nid = 0x0, verb = 0x715, param = 0x2
>> value = 0x0
>> Home directory /home/cefn not ours.
>> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
>> Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
>> SETTING GPIO 0x04 MASK, DIRECTION AND DATA TO [0x01 0x00 0x00]
>> nid = 0x1, verb = 0x716, param = 0x4
>> value = 0x0
>> nid = 0x0, verb = 0x717, param = 0x4
>> value = 0x0
>> nid = 0x0, verb = 0x715, param = 0x4
>> value = 0x0
>> Home directory /home/cefn not ours.
> [...]

Thanks again for your patience. It would be really useful if you could
suggest a specific change to the section of my script which details
the alternates, unless my script is more conceptually broken than
that. That way I can't misinterpret which of the flags you're trying
to describe with words. The problem I have looking at your "1/1/0"
list is which arguments of the actual hda-verb command to bind them
to: there are actually 4 values to vary in my mind. Three lines are
executed as a block for every possible combination of values in my
script (in the center of the nested loops)...

hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 "$GPIOMASK" SET_GPIO_MASK "$TARGETBIT"
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 "$GPIODIR" SET_GPIO_DIR "$TARGETBIT"
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 "$GPIODATA" SET_GPIO_DATA "$TARGETBIT"

.... that is, GPIOMASK, GPIODIR, GPIODATA AND TARGETBIT. Your response
details only 3 values, so what do I do with TARGETBIT, or is it
identical to something else?.

The combinations are explored exhaustively by executing the three
hda-verb lines above for every set of values in a nested loop (you can
see how these are bound to hda-verb above). Previously the arrays of
possible values to iterate over read ...

TARGETBITS=( "0x01" "0x02" "0x04" ) # TRY ALL COMBINATIONS OF THREE GPIO BITS
GPIOMASKS=( "0x01" ) # THIS STAYS TRUE THROUGHOUT
GPIODIRS=( "0x00" "0x01" ) # TRY ALL COMBINATIONS OF THIS BOOLEAN
GPIODATAS=( "0x00" "0x01" ) # TRY ALL COMBINATIONS OF THIS BOOLEAN

...but what should they read?

Thanks again. I feel a bit of an idiot as I'm sure I could work this
out if I knew what hda-verb was actually doing to flags in the
soundcard, and what the arguments mapped to, but frankly it's a bit of
a mystery when you run hda-verb --help and your helpful suggestions
seem to assume I understand the mappings already.