[alsa-devel] Join play of pcm in multiple playback devices

Irfan shaikh irfan.shaikh at sasken.com
Tue Jan 3 07:24:16 CET 2012

Hello All,

              I have written an application which supports join play of
PCM Audio.
i.e Capture and write to playback device 1 and playback device 2
simultaneously.

Below code is just to explain the above scenario :

/######################/

while(1)
{
     retval=snd_pcm_readi(pAlsaConfig->pcm_handle, buffer,
pAlsaConfig->alsaBufferSize);
     snd_pcm_writei(pAlsaConfig->pcm_handle1, buffer,retval);
     snd_pcm_writei(pAlsaConfig->pcm_handle2, buffer,retval);
}

In above case, renderer 2 lags behind the renderer 1 i.e there is delay
between two audio devices when actually heard.

Please help me if some better implementation for join play.
I have seen some thing as snd_pcm_link(). But i was not clear with its
usage, while doing snd_pcm_writei ???

Thanks and regards,
Irfan