[alsa-devel] HDA intel, wired headset w/mic, jack mic detect

Kevin Hilman khilman at ti.com
Wed Feb 29 20:08:13 CET 2012

Raymond Yau <superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com> writes:

> Does your headset/mic has a TRRS (Tip, ring, ring, sleeve) connector
> instead of TRS (Tip, ring, sleeve) connector ?

Yes.  It's TRRS.

But below, I tried with a normal stero headset (no mic) which has a TRS
connector too.

> You can use David's hda-jack-sense-test to find out any jack sense at
> the node of External mic when you plug the headset , if not , you may
> need to modify unsol event of  headphone to select the external mic ,
> internal mic.

Here are the results of hda-jack-sense-test

Nothing plugged in:

# hda-jack-sense-test -a
Pin 0x09 (Green HP Out): present = No
Pin 0x0a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0b (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x0c (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0d (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x0e (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0f (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x10 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x12 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Not connected): present = No

With regular stereo headphones with (*no* mic, TRS):

# hda-jack-sense-test -a
Pin 0x09 (Green HP Out): present = Yes
Pin 0x0a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0b (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x0c (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0d (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x0e (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0f (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x10 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x12 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Not connected): present = No

Finally, plugging the headset w/mic (TRRS):

root at eze:~# hda-jack-sense-test -a
Pin 0x09 (Green HP Out): present = Yes
Pin 0x0a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0b (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x0c (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0d (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x0e (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x0f (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x10 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x12 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Not connected): present = No

As you can see, there's no detected difference between the TRS and TRRS
headsets, which is the root of the problem.

Since this is a MacBookAir, it dual-boots OSX, and the detection works
just fine using the same headset under OSX.

Kevin