[alsa-devel] HDA intel, wired headset w/mic, jack mic detect

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:05:25 CET 2012

2012/2/29, Hilman, Kevin <khilman at ti.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 02/23/2012 08:09 PM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get a wired headset with a mic working on MacBookAir
>>> running v3.0 (3.0.0-13-generic from Ubuntu to be precise.)
>>>
>>> It has Intel HDA audio[1] and everything works fine, including the
>>> built-in mic.  The only think I can't seem to get working is a headset
>>> w/mic.
>>>
>>> I know the HW for dynamic detect works because the mic is detected
>>> dynamically under OSX.  Is there some setting I need to tweak in order
>>> to enable the automatic mic detection?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers,
>>

>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> You can try upgrading your alsa version to the daily snapshot using this
>> method: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I tried the latest version but the headset mic still doesn't work.
> Are there any particular settings I should be configuring to make this
> work?
>
> Note that the jack detect is working for the output.  When I plug in
> the headset, it switches the playback from the speakers to the headset
> automatically, and I see the 'Connector' drop down in the output tab
> of the Sound settings switch between "Analog headpohones' and 'Analog
> speakers."
>
> It seems there's still a problem detecting that the headset also has a mic.
>
> Kevin

Does your headset/mic has a TRRS (Tip, ring, ring, sleeve) connector
instead of TRS (Tip, ring, sleeve) connector ?

You can use David's hda-jack-sense-test to find out any jack sense at
the node of External mic when you plug the headset , if not , you may
need to modify unsol event of  headphone to select the external mic ,
internal mic.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/85051