[alsa-devel] HDA intel, wired headset w/mic, jack mic detect

Hilman, Kevin khilman at ti.com
Tue Feb 28 18:55:18 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 08:09 PM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a wired headset with a mic working on MacBookAir
>> running v3.0 (3.0.0-13-generic from Ubuntu to be precise.)
>>
>> It has Intel HDA audio[1] and everything works fine, including the
>> built-in mic.  The only think I can't seem to get working is a headset
>> w/mic.
>>
>> I know the HW for dynamic detect works because the mic is detected
>> dynamically under OSX.  Is there some setting I need to tweak in order
>> to enable the automatic mic detection?
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers,
>

> Hi Kevin,
>
> You can try upgrading your alsa version to the daily snapshot using this
> method: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the latest version but the headset mic still doesn't work.
Are there any particular settings I should be configuring to make this
work?

Note that the jack detect is working for the output.  When I plug in
the headset, it switches the playback from the speakers to the headset
automatically, and I see the 'Connector' drop down in the output tab
of the Sound settings switch between "Analog headpohones' and 'Analog
speakers."

It seems there's still a problem detecting that the headset also has a mic.

Kevin