[alsa-devel] Cranking sound coming out of speakers with the new 3.1 kernel

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 28 16:38:12 CET 2012

At Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:16:48 +0100,
Jan Prunk wrote:

> Hello !
>
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > Jan Prunk wrote:
> >
> >> I tried booting into 3.2.0-rc7-686-pae, but the crunching sound
> >> is still present, I am able to play music file properly, and
> >> crunching is in the background, and also while not processing
> >> any sounds, the crunching appears out of the speakers.
> >
> > Ok, thanks for testing.  Please send a summary of this regression to
> > alsa-devel at alsa-project.org, cc-ing Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> and
> > either me or this bug log so we can track it.
> >
> > Be sure to mention:
> >
> >  - steps to reproduce, what you expect versus what actually happens,
> >   and how that indicates a bug
>
> The sound is ok in kernel version "3.0.0-1-686-pae" but on all newer
> versions there are sparkling/farting noises coming out of the speaker.
> The noise is not very loud, its barely noticeable, but its repetative
> and doesn't go away. And I think it happens while typing on the
> keyboard and a bit later, then it dissapears for a few seconds,
> or by the time that I type again.
>
> >  - which kernel versions you tried, and what happens with each
> I tried running alsa-info.sh as a "user".
>
> I tried 3.0.0-1-686-pae here is the debug:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c1149b6466b2068d79c7517a8b0808d8b5c26e6b
> ---
> Linux vaio 3.2.0-1-686-pae #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 06:27:21 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
> ii  linux-image-3.2.0-1-686-pae          3.2.6-1
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fddbfbdc4fc44555a6dc851ecdc70760da6dd840
> ---
> Linux vaio 3.2.0-rc7-686-pae #1 SMP Wed Dec 28 21:26:25 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
> ii  linux-image-3.2.0-rc7-686-pae        3.2~rc7-1~experimental.1
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=78c8919e87dd03294484f83b5f7ae44331b5edfe
> Being booted into this version for 15 minutes, it seems to not make any noises,
> but I will resubmit the info later if the noises will start to appear.

3.2.0-rc7 alsa-info shows that the headphone jack is plugged, thus the
speaker is muted.  It's natural that the noise goes away in this
state.

Apart from that, I see no obvious problem in 3.2.0 output.

Does the problem still happen when you disable "Auto-Mute Mode" mixer
enum?
	% amixer -c0 set "Auto-Mute Mode" "Disabled"

Also, try to pass algin_buffer_size=0 option to snd-hda-intel.
I don't expect much that this will influence, but at least, it's a
difference between 3.0 and 3.2.

Takashi