[alsa-devel] [RFC 4/7] ASoC: Add dmaengine PCM helper functions

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Feb 22 16:39:54 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 03:23:55PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> Look, I spent a number of weeks working on the SA11x0 DMA engine code
> and ALSA side to get something which worked reliably, and a simple
> solution doesn't work.  I've been looking at the DMA engine code
> probably for longer than Vinod has been involved with it.  I've been
> working on cleaning up all the DMA engine drivers extracting some of the
> common bits from them.  I'm very familiar with level of crap in the DMA
> engine stuff.  I know what I'm talking about.

OK, fair enough - like I say the thing I'm not getting is why this is
resolvable in a dmaengine client but not in dmaengine itself.  If
nothing else I'd expect the core to be able to insert a proxy client.

> The point that I'm making is that there's more to this than just adding
> a layer.  If you think that's all that there is, then you haven't properly
> understood the SA11x0 audio support patch set that I have, and the
> interactions between the individual patches.  That's not surprising
> because I haven't posted the patches yet, and I haven't explained them
> either.

Indeed, I've not really looked at the code in any great detail at your
code as you didn't post it (I only looked at all because it showed up in
-next) and there were some issues at the subsystem level so I stopped
pretty quickly.