[alsa-devel] [RFC 4/7] ASoC: Add dmaengine PCM helper functions

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Feb 22 14:21:08 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:49:08AM +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> This patch adds a set of functions which are intended to be used when
> implementing a dmaengine based sound PCM driver.

Looks good - if you need to resend then:

> + * Note that this function will use private_data field of the substream's
> + * runtime. So it is not availabe to your pcm driver implementation. If you need
> + * to keep additional data attached to a substream use
> + * snd_dmaeinge_pcm_{set,get}_data.

there's a typo here but no need to resend just for that.

I'd like to see some review from both Morimoto-san as we should convert
fsi over to this too, Vinod I guess you're also pretty much happy given
your comments on the previous version?

For the non-cyclic DMAs the idea of emulating at the dmaengine layer
does seem very sensible but if that's hard then having the code at the
ASoC level and pushing it down later seems fine.  We do have several
platforms with non-cyclic DMA so it's a general need.