[alsa-devel] Bug report - patch_realtek.c - Laptop HP COMPAQ B1900 Series

joey.jiaojg joey.jiaojg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:14:48 CET 2012

Please check my reply below.

On 2012年02月15日 18:11, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:06:39 +0800,
> joey.jiaojg wrote:
>> OK, the situation is 0x01 is to control GPIO0:
>> 1. if I write (codec,0x01,0,AC_VERB_SET_GPIO_MASK,1) only; the result is
>> speaker not work.
>>
>> 2. if I write (codec,0x01,0,AC_VERB_SET_GPIO_DIRECTION,1) only; the
>> result is speaker not work.
>>
> Sure, GPIO must be always set mask, direction and data all together.
> The question is, when you set GPIO mask/dir/data, the speaker starts
> playing, and if set to zero (e.g. only data), the speaker is muted?
JOEY: I tried set data to 0 or 1 doesn't influence. when I set mask &
dir to 1, speaker starts to work and to 0 speaker muted while headphone
works if headphone plugged in.

>> 3. If I write step 1&  2 together, speaker works when I reboot.
> Then GPIO is likely an external amp control.
JOEY: YES.

>> 4. Then If I plugged in the headphone, the headphone doesn't work. It
>> only works when I write
>> (codec,0x0F,0,AC_VERB_SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL,PIN_HP).
> This is normal.
JOEY: If I don't modify model=will. And headphone can play even without
set AC_VERB_SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL to PIN_HP. Of course, automute
doesn't work as there is function implemented.

>> 5. From step 3&  4, it's similar for cases that I reboot with headphone
>> plugged in. That is, if I remove headphone, speaker doesn't work
>> automatically. If I write
>> (codec,0x0F,0,AC_VERB_SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL,PIN_OUT), the
>> auto-detection function works well can switch speaker/headphone
>> automatically.
> That's odd.  If you don't change from PIN_HP, doesn't the unsolicited
> event work?
JOEY: the unsolicited works from the register I read also from the
printk I previous added. But the audio path doesn't switch between
speaker and headphone. I don't know why. It can works manually if I send
any hda-verb command to codec, like hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x0F 0xF09
0x0; I think perhaps there needs to be some delay. But I wait seconds
and it doesn't switch. Then if I run any hda-verb command, it will then
switch.
Then after I change from PIN_HP or from PIN_OUT, the automute (actually
audio path switch) works.
> Another question is, when you set PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL on the speaker
> pin (not sure which one is) to 0x00, does it mute the speaker, too?
JOEY: No, it doesn't mute the speaker. To mute the speaker, I just need
to set 0 to dir or mask. Then audio path is to headphone.