[alsa-devel] Intel HD: ALC662 noise-bug on FitPC2i

Bent Bisballe Nyeng deva at aasimon.org
Thu Dec 13 08:58:09 CET 2012

On 12/12/12 20:11, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:30:58 +0100,
> Bent Bisballe Nyeng wrote:
>>
>> On 12/12/12 15:51, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> If you are using alsa-lib as is, it must be using dsnoop as default,
>>> which is pretty different from hw.
>>>

>>> Takashi
>>
>> Running arecord with -Dhw did not solve the issue.
>>
>> I played around with the buffer-size and have concluded that even with a
>> very large buffer the ticks are still present, precisely one tick per
>> buffer. This results in fever ticks with greater buffer sizes, but ticks
>> non-the-less.
>>
>> Are there any special kernel parameters that I should set in order to
>> make audio smooth?
>
> As I wrote, check position_fix option.
>

> Takashi

Setting the position_fix=2 (use the position-buffer) did the trick. It
now records nice and smooth.

Thank you very much for your help Takashi.

In the kernel documentation on the intel hda driver it is described that
the position_fix parameter defaults to using the position_buffer, but
falls back to the LPIB register if the position_buffer appears dead.

Does this mean that on my specific chip the position_buffer seems dead
even though it isn't and the LPIB register doesn't work correctly?

Furthermore it is not clear to me what (if any?) the difference between
the default value 0 and the value 2? Does 2 read the position-buffer
without mmap and are therefore more CPU hungry than 0?

Kind regards
Bent Bisballe Nyeng