[alsa-devel] REGRESSION: Webcam mic for 145f:015b not longer working with 1.0.24 and above (OK with 1.0.23)

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:12:10 CEST 2012

On 29.08.2012 14:04, Kostas wrote:
> On 29/08/2012 09:23 πμ, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> On 29.08.2012 02:13, Kostas wrote:

[...]

>>> Command git bisect good 1.0.23 gives me the output
>>> fatal: Needed a single revision
>>> Bad rev input: 1.0.23
>>>
>>> How can i figure out the revision number?
>>>
>> When working with the kernel git, you have to take the kernel version
>> numbers.
>>
> Sorry i really can't understand what to do.
> The steps i did were
> git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel.git alsa-kernel
> git bisect start alsa-kernel/
> git bisect bad
> git bisect good (Here i don't know what number to give)
>
> I will keep reading because the whole thing is interesting to me...but
> for now i can't understand anything.

No problem. According to your dmesg logs, kernel 2.6.38 was working for
you, and 3.2.0 isn't.

First, clone the mainline Linux git:

  git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux
  cd linux

Test again that 2.6.38 is working:

  git checkout v2.6.38
  compile + test

test again that 3.2.0 is not working:

  git checkout v3.2
  compile and test

Then do the bisect:

  git bisect start
  git bisect good v2.6.38
  git bisect bad v3.2

Compile and test each step the bisect drops you to, and then call either
"git bisect good" or "git bisect bad". If a step cannot be compiled or
tested, call "git bisect skip".

If all goes well, you will be told which commit is the first one that
does not work anymore.

Daniel